Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Dressed to impress! (Okay, mostly for comfort.)

We'll be needing different clothing for different activities (from hiking and jet boats to art museums and fine dining) and so I need to find the balance between backpacker chic and dry clean only. In a country that proudly reminds tourists that you can experience "4 seasons in one day." I think I'm up for the challenge.

The first hurdle is the flight (and the transit to the airport!) It will be cold here in January, but very warm in New Zealand (one of the many reasons we chose to visit.) So we'll be wearing warm weather clothing on the plane. Having flown quite a bit in my career, and always in economy - I think I have a pretty good formula for flying outfits to get me from here to there. My key is layers that I can take off and carry (or repack) once I get to my destination. We'll be driving, so I would imagine that all of our truly warm weather stuff will hang in the car until the trip home.

First step? Pants! I have to wear pants. I have gone the jersey maxi skirt route and found it difficult to navigate restrooms and not quite warm enough. And I cannot do PJs. NO. So I like pants like these for flying. They are soft, have an elastic waist (I always feel bloated on planes) and stretch. They'll keep me cozy on the flight without looking like I just rolled out of bed.

Next is my tee. I'm going with a basic grey v neck, one of the 3 I own. (Fun fact - my husband had no idea that I owned three until very recently. He thought I just REALLY liked the one!) Grey is great, it hides dirt and goes well with my mostly black wardrobe (and everything not black, too!) Something like this is just a versatile wardrobe staple.

I have also got to have a cardigan on the plane. I wear them pretty infrequently otherwise but I need a big, cosy sweater that I can ball up or wear over my head. Whatever it takes, man! I like this one, it's my second favorite color. Navy! (Navy is like light black. Just as versatile.) As much as I like it, though, this one from Old Navy is just what I need. 

And I need shoes! I always wear the heaviest, bulkiest shoes I have on the plane. (Unless I'm working - I won't fly in steel toed boots, lol.) So this flight I'll be flying with my Ahnu Sugarpine hiking boots. I keep my Tevas in my carryon just in case my bags don't make it, though. Learned the hard way when I was stuck tromping around Salt Lake City (beautiful!) one July with hikers. I would have loved some lighter shoes. It was hot! The great thing about my Ahnu's is that they're pretty adorable so I won't feel too silly. 



And that's almost it! Almost because the one travel item I am never without (besides my headphones - those will be in my carry-on post) is a scarf. I keep one in my car, I wear a light one in summer in case I need some additional shade, I keep one tied to my pocketbook just in case. So versatile! Wearing a blanket scarf on to the plane is a lifesaver. Our little one had an airplane bathroom incident a few years back and I didn't have a change of clothes for her. She ended up wearing mama's scarf like a skirt for the rest of the trip. Worked great! Cashmere and merino are my favorites (so soft and light.) I have a wool pashmina that I bought overseas years ago. But I am LOVING this one from likemary. Such a great color! And I need it with my monotone wardrobe!


What do you wear on long haul flights? Did I miss anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment