Sunday, August 9, 2015

Packing it all in.

I am mildly neurotic about packing. So much so that on our last family vacation (to Tokyo Disney Resort) I packed everyone in coordinating outfits. We did well, and somehow managed to not bring TOO much stuff, but I am the Queen of Overpacking. So this time, despite the 14 days away from home, I'm making a concerted effort to pack light.

The first thing I wanted to do, since I'm still working on a list of clothes (for me and the kiddos, the Mister is on his own) is figure out what non-clothing items we need to bring. I started with a small, backpacker style first aid kit. We'll be doing some hiking, and we're driving through a country known for it's wide open spaces and remote byways. So here's what I put together!


This is a simple little mesh and fabric pouch I picked up at a Daiso 100 Yen store (basically a Japanese Dollar Store. Only far superior.) I also picked up 15 of those little tags; I have labelled everything for quick recognition. It's about 6"x8" (15x20 cm) and weighs .22 kilos, just under 8oz. It will fit nicely in my day pack or in the boy's CamelBak.


In the front pocket, I have some of the smaller, flat packed items. Clockwise from top left I have: alcohol swabs, insect repellent, adhesive bandages in a few sizes, wrapped tissue and q-tips, a hairband (in case my daughter needs it,) some breathe right strips and Alka Seltzer cold tabs.


In the "larger" pocket from upper left: OTC medicines (more to follow on those) scissors and tweezers, small containers of creams and ointments (more on those, too) and TheraFlu packs (we swear by this stuff. Tastes awful but it works!) Next there are some gauze pads, some feminine products, surgical tape and some small rolls of gauze.


PseudoEphedrine is illegal in New Zealand - I have made sure that all OTC medicines we take are allowed there. I don't have a lot of meds in here, and the point is not to last forever. I just want to make sure that if we have an illness or injury on the road or trail, that we can take care of ourselves until we can get to a drugstore or hospital. I have labelled all of the compartments with the names/dosages of all medicines. We are all "adult" sized for dosage purposes, so if you're traveling with little ones, take care. I have an anti-diarrheal, Tylenol, Tylenol Cold, Pepto, and Motrin. With the TheraFlu, that ought to cover everything.


Very last we come to my creams and ointments, all labelled. These little containers are really meant for soy sauces, but they work great for this. I have seen many storage methods (my favorite being straws) but these are cheap and disposable. The top left is a Triple Antibiotic Ointment, right is Hydrocortisone and on the bottom is some Anbesol. Hoping we have no need for any of this, but if we do I know we have it! Next item on my list is my laundry kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment